Dozens of Palestinians have been killed and thousands wounded by Israeli troops, Palestinian officials say, on the deadliest day of violence since the 2014 Gaza war.
The violence came as the US opened its embassy in Jerusalem, a move that has infuriated Palestinians.
Latest News on Gaza War:
- At least 52 Palestinians were killed and 2,200 others injured by Israeli forces during protests along the border fence on Monday, Palestinian health officials said
- Palestinian officials accused Israeli forces of carrying out a “massacre”
- The Israeli military said “rioters” threw firebombs and explosive devices at the fence and at Israeli soldiers deployed nearby, prompting them to respond with live fire
- The military accused the Palestinian militant group Hamas of using the protests as cover to try to cross illegally into Israeli territory and launch attacks
- Human rights groups condemned the Israeli military’s use of live ammunition, saying troops should not have opened fire when there was no immediate threat to their lives